Carragher tells Klopp to sign Sancho & Werner to solve 'big' Liverpool problem

Carragher tells Klopp to sign Sancho & Werner to solve 'big' Liverpool problem

Jamie Carragher has told Liverpool to bolster their attacking options this summer by signing both Jadon Sancho and Timo Werner.

The Reds are likely to face plenty of competition for their signature, with a host of European clubs set to be interested in the pair in the upcoming window.

And although Jurgen Klopp currently has one of the best attacking trios in world football at his disposal, with Sadio Mane, Mohamed Salah and Roberto Firmino scoring 44 goals between them in all competitions this season.

Carragher believes the best way to relieve some of the pressure on the trio would be to secure the services of Werner and Sancho.

“Things can change very quickly,” Carragher told Viasport Fotbal.

“If you look at Tuesday night (Atletico Madrid defeat), the big problem for Liverpool is when one of those front-three are not playing.

“Sadio Mane had to come off and the player they bring on in is Divock Origi, who is a Liverpool legend because of what happened last year at the Wanda Metropolitano, but it's not quite good enough for the best team in the world to be bringing that quality on.

'Liverpool do need a top attacking player to come in the summer. Sancho or Werner? I'll take both.”

Before adding: “They don't need to let anyone go, they just need to add to the squad that they've got.

“Don't forget, Liverpool never signed a player last summer so you would think there's a lot of money there waiting to be spent.

“Jurgen Klopp is probably just waiting another year on, some players getting another year older and then he can maybe refresh it.

“He gave Origi a new contract so he couldn't go and buy an attacking player on the back of that but now I think is definitely the time for Liverpool to reinforce, certainly in the attack, to keep those three on their toes and to rotate them, play different systems.

“Also, you have to think of injuries and the Africa Cup of Nations next season with Salah and Mane going away, it's almost certain Liverpool will buy a top attacking player. It's just who.”

But Carragher was quick to reject the idea that the Anfield club need to sell any of the triumvirate in order to raise funds to bolster their squad.

“I don't think they'd be too happy with the goals he gets,” he added. “He didn't have his best game against Atletico and got brought off but his first two seasons in England he was the top goalscorer in the Premier League and I think he'll go very close again.

“Of course he's not having the season he had in his first season but that was the season of his life that possibly will never happen again.

“I think Liverpool supporters want more attacking options for the manager and for the team but it's not a case of taking anyone out, it's reinforcing what they already have.

“Hopefully they've got enough for three or four top players but I think there should be one who is a really big player.

“But Liverpool more often than not try to be clever in the transfer market. They bought Takumi Minamino for £7m which is nothing in this day and age.

“He's the midfield player they bought so it will be an attacking player, it just depends what kind of money they have to spend.” Follow us on Twitter and on Facebook
Loading...

Post a comment

0 Comments