Tottenham 'nearing agreement for Metz teenager Pape Matar Sarr'

Tottenham 'nearing agreement for Metz teenager Pape Matar Sarr'

Tottenham are close to securing a deal with French club Metz for teenage midfielder Pape Matar Sarr this summer, according to reports.

Sportsmail revealed this week that Sarr, 18, was on the radar of several Premier League clubs, including Chelsea, Manchester United and Manchester City after a breakout season in France last term.

The all-action midfielder made 22 appearances in Ligue 1 last season, scoring three times, after being promoted to the first-team in November after just one reserve team appearance.

And according to The Athletic, Tottenham are nearing an agreement for the midfielder but a deal has not been finalised yet and Spurs face competition from four other English clubs and Italian side Atalanta.

Metz are still contemplating whether to let Sarr go completely this summer or arrange a deal where he returns to the club on loan straight away after signing for his new club.

Sarr's emergence has brought him onto the radar of a host of clubs across Europe. Sportsmail believe Chelsea, United and City all see Sarr as a potential star in the making and are readying moves for the teenager.

The 18-year-old can play anywhere across midfield and has all the qualities to fit into the Premier League.

The teenager, who made his international debut for Senegal back in March, signed a five-year contract at the French club last September.

Sarr has played in both of Metz's Ligue 1 games so far this season - a 3-3 opening weekend draw with reigning champions Lille and a 2-0 defeat away at Nantes last Sunday.

Overall, the midfielder has played 27 times for the French club, scoring four times in all competitions.

Tottenham, meanwhile, have Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg and academy product Oliver Skipp as their first choice deep midfielders with Moussa Sissoko and Harry Winks as back-up.

Tanguy Ndombele is also at the club but Santo has told the Frenchman to find form 'within himself' after being left out of Spurs' first two matches of the season against Manchester City and Pacos de Ferreira.

Santo told a press conference this week: 'I will be honest with you. Tanguy is not going to be involved on Sunday (against Wolves).'

When pressed for an answer as to why the 24-year-old would not be included, Nuno said: 'What I can tell you is that Tanguy is with us, he works but we have to speak honestly.

'The best out of Tanguy has to come from himself. It has to come from himself. I don't want to go much further than that but it has to come from himself. I must speak to Tanguy before even addressing you. We already had a chance to talk but it must come from himself.

'I said it before: my job here is not to convince players to play for Tottenham Hotspur, it is to prepare players to play for Tottenham Hotspur.'

New Spurs boss Nuno Espirito Santo is looking to bolster his midfield after adding Atalanta duo Pierluigi Gollini and Cristian Romero and winger Bryan Gil.
Follow us on Google newsTwitter and on Facebook
Loading...

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.