Champions League prize money breakdown 2022/2023: How much do the UCL winners get from?

Champions League prize money breakdown 2022/2023: How much do the UCL winners get from?

Champions League prize money breakdown 2022/2023: How much do the UCL winners get from?

Champions League prize money breakdown 2022/2023


Participation in the Champions League can net clubs a significant financial windfall, making the top UEFA competition a primary objective for many European teams.

Furthermore, results in the Champions League can significantly increase a club's payout, meaning performances in the European tournament are of the utmost importance, as is advancement from round to round.

UEFA has released the detailed figures for prize money payouts in the 2022/23 Champions League, with a total purse of just over €2 billion (£1.72b / $1.98b).

The Sporting News brings you a full breakdown of all the prize money allocations for group stage and knockout stage participants in the 2022/23 Champions League.

Champions League prize money 2022/23

Last season, champions Real Madrid collected €83.2 million in Champions League performance-based prize money, including additional €4.5 million for winning the UEFA Super Cup in August 2022.

In the 2022/23 Champions League, winning the entire competition with a perfect group stage performance would earn a maximum prize money payout of €85.14 million.

Overall Champions League prize money purse: €2.032 billion (incl. playoffs)

Stage Prize Money
Winner €20m
Runner-up €15.5m
Semifinalists €12.5m
Quarterfinalists €10.6m
Round of 16 €9.6m
Group-stage wins €2.8m
Group-stage draws €930k
Reaching group stage €15.64m

Other UEFA Champions League prize money

While 55 percent of the total prize purse is distributed among the clubs as a reward for their results in the competition as dictated above, the rest of the 45 percent of the pool is split across the 32 group stage participants in two ways.

Coefficient payout


A total of 30 percent of the prize money (€600.6m) is paid out to all 32 clubs in the Champions League group stage based on a coefficient algorithm that ranks their European performance over a 10-year period.

The teams are ranked from 1 to 32, with bonus points given for hoisting European trophies, and then paid out in shares. One coefficient share is worth €1.137 million. The lowest-ranked team earns one share, while the top-ranked team earns 32 shares, or €36.38m.

Broadcast market payout

An additional €300.3m (15 percent of the total purse) is made available as part of the broadcast revenue once all the broadcast deals are finalized around the continent.

Each country in the UEFA Champions League is provided a share of this money based on the proportional value of each TV market. Each national federation distributes that money to the participating Champions League clubs based on:
  •  50 percent of the allocation to a national association will be divided among the participating clubs from that nation based on fixed percentages determined by UEFA.
  • the other 50 percent is paid out in proportion to the number of matches played by each club in the 2022/23 competition.

Europa League and Europa Conference League prize money

While Champions League participation nets clubs a total prize money purse of over €2 billion, the Europa League and Europa Conference League are handed purses totaling a distant second and third.

Competition Prize Money
UEFA Champions League €2.032 billion
UEFA Europa League €465 million
UEFA Conference League €235 million

The Europa League winner will earn about €15 million in performance-based prize money in the knockout stage, plus an additional possible €4.88 million in potential group stage earnings for a perfect six-match showing.

Meanwhile, the Europa Conference League winner will earn about €8.9 million in performance-based prize money in the knockout stage, plus an additional possible €3.65 million in potential group stage earnings for a perfect six-match showing.
Follow us on Google newsTwitter and on Facebook
Loading...
Tags

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.