Granit Xhaka failed to heed Mikel Arteta's foul-mouthed Anfield warning during Liverpool vs Arsenal

Granit Xhaka failed to heed Mikel Arteta's foul-mouthed Anfield warning during Liverpool vs Arsenal

Granit Xhaka failed to learn from Mikel Arteta’s past Anfield mistake during Arsenal’s 2-2 draw with Liverpool.

The Gunners’ title credentials were given a thorough examination at Anfield, as the table toppers squandered a two-goal lead to come away from the game with just a point.

The draw means Arsenal have not won at Anfield since 2012, while in broader terms the momentum in the title race has swung in Manchester City’s favour, with Pep Guardiola’s men six points adrift but with a game in hand and Arsenal still to play.

Having taken a comfortable lead inside half an hour through Gabriel Martinelli and Gabriel Jesus, Xhaka’s decision to clatter into Trent Alexander-Arnold off the ball ignited Anfield and turned a procession into a fiery encounter.

Speaking on Sky Sports after the match, Jamie Carragher insisted Xhaka’s challenge acted as a catalyst for a Liverpool comeback.

"I am not an Arsenal fan but I am angry with Xhaka," said Carragher. "What was he doing? The game is in your hands and you've got involved. Why do it? It was idiotic for an experienced player to do that at this ground.

"There was only one way Liverpool were getting back into that game and it was with the terraces. Liverpool as a team cannot compete with Arsenal, but with the energy in the stadium they can."

Arteta’s past error
Xhaka failed to learn from Arsenal boss Arteta’s past mistakes.

In 2020 Arteta and Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp had to be separated during a touchline bust-up, while the scores were locked at 0-0.

After Sadio Mane fouled Takehiro Tomiyasu near the Anfield touchline, Arteta waved his arms in anger, only for Klopp to run over and confront him.

Fourth official Andy Madley had to get in between the pair before it became a head-on collision. Players stepped in as the confrontation continued at a distance, with Arteta clearly swearing at the Liverpool manager.

The managers then both received yellow cards from referee Michael Oliver for their outbursts.

After the incident Arsenal unravelled, to ultimately lose the encounter 4-0.
Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url