Watch: Amateur Boxer Faces Charges for Vicious Attack on Referee Resulting in Broken Jaw


Amateur Boxer Faces Charges for Vicious Attack on Referee Resulting in Broken Jaw

In Sydney, a referee was the victim of a shocking assault by a spectator, which resulted in him suffering a broken jaw.

Adam Abdullah, an amateur boxer, has been charged in connection with an alleged attack that was captured on camera and showed him hitting the official multiple times. 

The incident occurred during a Men's Premier League football match between Greenacre Eagles and Padstow Hornets at Padstow Park on the evening of April 28th.

According to The Daily Telegraph, the official sustained a broken jaw and lost four teeth as a result of the attack. 

The newspaper also reported that Abdullah, who was allegedly a suspended player and had been attending the match as a spectator, jumped over the guardrail after being instructed by the referee to "please move away."

After being shared on Twitter, the footage of the incident has garnered 288k views so far.

Watch video below....

The footage is disturbing as it shows the referee being hit and kicked multiple times while other spectators and players try to pull Abdullah away from him.

Despite being pulled away from the referee, the man can be seen in the footage trying to break free from those restraining him and attempting to reach the referee again.

The video, which lasts for over two minutes, depicts the referee in a vulnerable position several times, as he is unable to defend himself against the attacker.

Towards the end of the video, the referee is shown being taken to safety, with blood visible around his mouth. He can be heard telling another person that his jaw is broken.

Fox Sports reported that Abdullah appeared in Bankstown Local Court, where the court denied his bail, citing concerns that he still posed a risk to the community.

The police prosecutor told the court: “This is an outrageous attack on a match official who was simply officiating at a soccer game.”

The prosecutor alleges that there was ‘little to no provocation’ from the referee and that Mr Abdullah became aggressive.

Mr Abdullah’s defence lawyer Talal Krayem told the court that his client was due to become a father in four months.

He argued that the referee had used a sideline flag to defend himself, which caused Abdullah to fall to the ground and later have bruising on his head.

In response to the incident, the Greenacre Eagles sent out a statement condemning any forms of violence.

They wrote: “As a result of an incident that occurred following the conclusion of the match, our club has made the decision to withdraw the team from the competition for the remainder of the 2023 season.

“We will continue to work with the association to impose the appropriate sanctions necessary.”

Follow us on Google news, Twitter and on Facebook

Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url