Manchester United have released a statement after winger Antony was accused of domestic abuse.
The Brazilian winger has been accused of assault and domestic abuse by his former girlfriend Gabriela Cavallin. Indeed, Antony took to social media on Monday to vehemently deny the allegations made against him.
Cavallin made the allegations via the Brazilian news website UOL on Monday, while they have also been reported to police in São Paulo and Greater Manchester.
And amid pressure from fan groups and domestic abuse charities United have broken their silence on the matter,.
A club statement read: "Manchester United acknowledges the allegations made against Antony and notes that the Police are conducting enquiries.
"Pending further information, the club will be making no further comments.
"As a club, we are taking this matter seriously, with consideration of the impact of these allegations and subsequent reporting will have on survivors of abuse."
The Brazilian football confederation confirmed it had dropped Antony from its squad for the upcoming internationals, a day after the allegations were detailed by UOL.
However until today, United had made no comment on the claims which first came to light in June.
Cavallin, a DJ and social media influencer, accused Antony of offences that include attacking her with a glass and head-butting her, as well as making threats to kill her.
She also claimed Antony punched her in the chest, causing damage to a silicone breast implant, which subsequently required corrective surgery.
Antony denies all charges, releasing a statement on his social media in which he claimed the relationship with Cavallin had been “tumultuous” but stressed he “never practised any physical aggression”.
The 23-year-old said: “I can say with tranquillity … that I am innocent of the accusations that have been made. My relationship with Ms Gabriela was tumultuous, with insults [made] on both sides, but never did I commit any act of physical aggression. Therefore, I vehemently deny these accusations and [would like] to make it clear that I remain willing to clear up whatever is necessary to Brazilian authorities.”
United's statement comes just two weeks after the club confirmed Mason Greenwood would be leaving.
Greenwood was charged in October 2022 by Greater Manchester police with attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour and assault. However, the charges were dropped in February when the Crown Prosecution Service said there was “no longer a realistic prospect of conviction” after key witnesses withdrew their cooperation from the investigation. Greenwood, who is now on a season-long loan Getafe, denied all charges.